|2nd President of the Nagorno-Karabakh Republic|
8 September 1997 – 7 September 2007
|Prime Minister||Leonard Petrosyan|
|Preceded by||Leonard Petrosyan (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Bako Sahakyan|
|Foreign Minister of Nagorno-Karabakh|
23 July 1993 – 8 September 1997
|Preceded by||position established|
|Succeeded by||Naira Melkumian|
|Born||22 June 1957|
Stepanakert, Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Oblast, Azerbaijan SSR, Soviet Union
|Alma mater||Yerevan State University|
Arkadi Arshaviri Ghukasyan (Armenian: Արկադի Արշավիրի Ղուկասյան; born 22 June 1957) is an Artsakhi politician who served as the second President of the self-proclaimed Nagorno-Karabakh Republic. He was elected as the President on 8 September 1997 and re-elected in 2002, until his term ended on 7 September 2007 and was succeeded by Bako Sahakyan. He was detained by Azerbaijani forces after the 2023 Azerbaijani offensive in Nagorno-Karabakh and is currently facing criminal charges in Azerbaijan.
He survived an assassination attempt in 2000. Samvel Babayan, whom he had recently sacked as defence minister, was convicted of organising the attack and sentenced to 14 years in prison. Babayan was released from imprisonment on 18 September 2004 due to health concerns, with the terms of release including a probationary period and continued disenfranchisement.
On 3 October 2023, Ghukasyan and two other former presidents of Artsakh, Bako Sahakyan and Arayik Harutyunyan, together with former president of the National Assembly Davit Ishkhanyan, were detained by the State Security Service of Azerbaijan and brought to Baku. Ghukasyan and the other arrested former officials are reportedly facing "grave criminal charges" in Azerbaijan.
He has divorced once and remarried.
- "Regions and territories: Nagorno-Karabakh". BBC News. 10 January 2012. Archived from the original on 4 January 2006.
- "The rise and fall of Samvel Babayan". Armenian News Network / Groong. 6 October 2004. Archived from the original on 14 September 2023.
- "Արցախի Հանրապետական կուսակցություն ստեղծողները հայտնի «ղուկասյանականներ» են. «Հրապարակ»" [The founders of the Republican Party of Artsakh are well-known Ghukasyan supporters: Hraparak]. 1in.am. 20 May 2015.
- "Bako Sahakyan, Arkady Gukasyan, David Ishkhanyan were detained and brought to Baku". Azerbaijani Press Agency. 3 October 2023. Retrieved 3 October 2023.
- "Azerbaijan detains Arayik Harutyunyan - so-called former "leader" of separatists in Garabagh". Azerbaijani Press Agency. 3 October 2023. Retrieved 3 October 2023.
- "Armenia Condemns Arrests Of Karabakh Leaders". Azatutyun. 4 October 2023. Retrieved 21 October 2023.